Saturday, May 21, 2011

My First Modification and My First Commission! (in reverse order...)


So after seeing all my sewing projects on facebook, a my friendfrom work requested that I make two tank-top dresses for Independence Day (patriotic fabric must be used, of course!!). I bought the fabric and I bought the tank tops for the project. In fact, I bought several tank tops knowing that I would want to experiment. Well, here is the experiment in photo above. I am quite pleased with the result though some of the inside needs some cleaning up. I still struggle to get that clean, finished look on the inside that my mother always accomplishes with her work... I think it just takes time and experience to get there.
With this dress, my goal was to modify an existing pattern I found online. Somehow, I felt ready and bold enough to give it a try. Overall, not bad. But the process involved some trial and error. I am learning that, in order to get the final result you desire, you must be willing to unravel your mistakes and start fresh. A hard lesson to learn when you are a perfectionist like myself... "What do you mean I didn't get it right the first time????" Yeah, I have to get over that. Because, as my mother says, sewing takes patience.:-)

UPDATE: Here is my good friend Amy's daughter wearing the dress above! Super adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment